Friday, October 29, 2010

Post Note on Dancing in the Rain

So there was some stuff that I forgot mention in my first post about foot surgery. One thing was that throughout 7th grade I went to physical therapy. It was really nice...mostly. First they would fill up a little tub with warm water. I then stuck my feet in it, they plugged it in, and “voilia” a small hot tub for my feet. And while my feet soaked I got to sit there and read. That was one of the best parts. Among many things I had to stretch my foot using therabands tied to a bed. One of those broke on me one time... I had to stand on one foot and bounce a ball on a small trampoline and catch it when it bounced back to me. They’d put a cream on my foot and rub it in to do an ultrasound- which is a way to make your muscles relax. For sports and such you usually warm your feet up by moving them in circles, (this movement comes from your ankles) this is something I really had to work hard on because I couldn't do it. Before I'd leave they would wrap my feet in ice and put sticky things on me that would shock my feet. This hurt when it got really strong and it was like I lost control of the muscles in my feet (they twitched even if I was trying to make them stop). The machine is called an electrical muscle stimulation machine.
Then came ballroom and high heels, need I say more. It got to a point where we had to get arch supports because my ankles weren't strong enough to walk right (I would walk pigeon-toed or on the outside of my foot). We had to get new shoes eventually because I'd worn out the outside of the heel but not the inside. Long story short- I got corrected and was able to perform a lot and also got to be in the schools’ talent show. Yay!

1 comment: