Memoir I wrote in 8th Grade:
Knots clench my stomach. I’m lying on a crisp white bed with chairs surrounding me. I feel wedged and enclosed, even trapped in a cave of floor length curtains that surround me on three sides. My head bangs up and down on an oxygen filled pillow. Laughing nervously I mask my family from the gnawing monster deep inside of me. Then they get me. My cave opens and I’m wheeled out under blankets in a purple gown. The walls are white; the nurses face kind and compassionate as she wheels my silvery bed into yet another with room. Yet I notice that this room is different. There are instruments on all sides of me. A larger silver light above me then the last. The nurse gently pulls me to a halt. She softly and tenderly pulls a mask over my face and helps me to switch onto a harder table. There are gowned people everywhere, with masks. My stomach clenches once more as I see her wheel a non-electrical machine near me. She takes my arm and then puts a small needle in my arm. I feel the jab and the needle- like pain as she does so. Then there is darkness. I feel nothing, I see black, I don’t comprehend anything. I feel only sweet oblivion. Then there’s white again, my three enclosing curtains smiling at me. There is a gentle fog over my eyes and I feel as if I am not all there. I see a family, my family, my mom and dad. They are smiling nervously. I slowly regain consciousness, but the haze is still there. I am taken out and I see my feet. They are wrapped in a red, bumpy tape. I lean against he gigantic blue plastic of my wheelchair. Then comes what I know might end up being the most important moment. I feet feel clumsy and heavy in their new black homes as I try to move myself forward. I feel nothing, once more. There is no pain. Yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment